The Hampshire County Arts Council is proud to announce its 25th-anniversary celebration to be held at their annual meeting, Saturday, March 23, at the Bottling Works. Following dinner at 5 pm and a brief meeting, members and guests will be entertained by the newly formed Hampshire Ukulele Club led by Jim Morris.
Formed in the spring of 1994, the steering committee led by Robin Teas, Sharon Gallery, Robin Pancake, Angela Kraus, Eleanor Dewey, and David Sutherland established the non-profit Hampshire County Arts Council with the goal of fostering the practice and enjoyment of all the arts in the community. Its debut into the community was during the annual Heritage Days weekend.
Recognizing the importance of arts in the community, the group ambitiously began organizing concerts, square dances, art displays, etc. for the public’s enjoyment. Cabin Fever Concerts provided respite in winter’s cold. The Arts Council has made special efforts to work with local county schools as well as WVSDB on having programs for youth. Summer Arts Camps have given children experience working with local artists. Fine Arts Shows exhibit the wealth of talent in our midst.
The Arts Council makes an effort to support other entities in their efforts to enrich our community. Throughout the years, artists and patrons have had the opportunity to participate in and enjoy a multitude of activities. Affinity groups have been formed for those with interests in photography, writing, drama, and sketching and drawing to name a few. Classes in just about every aspect of the arts have been offered from calligraphy, basketry, pottery, Plein Aire, herbs & art, banjo, guitar, ukulele, painting in all forms of media — too numerous to name.
The Arts Council will sponsor their second annual Hampshire Highlands Art & Music Festival on Sept. 14 in Romney. This daylong event features sales by local juried artists, entertainment by local musicians, food and fun for all. New this year will be a puppet show for youth.
Currently, artists have their works displayed at the Hampshire County Public Library in Romney in the Arts Council’s Fine Arts Show. Twenty-one artists have over 60 works of art exhibited, ranging from watercolor, oils, acrylics, photography, glass art, metal sculpting, paper mache, and a special exhibit of artwork from Hampshire Special Services members. The show continues through March 23.
The public is invited to join Hampshire County Arts Council members and patrons of the arts in celebrating this special recognition of 25 years of service to the community. For information, please call Charlie Snead, President, Hampshire County Arts Council, at 304-298-3039.
Hampshire County Arts Council will launch its Ukulele Club on June 8, 2018. Under the leadership of accomplished musician, Jim Morris, youths and adults of all ages and levels of experience are invited to join the Ukulele Club for lessons and practice. Sessions will be held every Friday from 11 am – 12 noon at the Hampshire Co-op, 56 S. Marsham St. Romney.
Interest in having a Ukulele Club began in the Summer Arts Camp 2017 with dozens of youths experiencing the fun of playing ukuleles for the first time. With just a few hours of instruction during the weeklong camp, they were performing to the enjoyment and amazement of parents and friends for the closing open house.
A number of ukuleles, provided by the arts council, are available for use by participants. Those whohave their own are encouraged to bring them. There will be a nominal fee of $5 per session or $35 for the 9 Ukulele Club classes scheduled throughout the summer. Continuing practices will be determined by the club at the end of summer. Come out and give it a try! By the end of summer, you can be ready to perform for local events! Fill out registration form Registration for Ukulele Club sponsored by Hampshire County Arts Council. For Information, contact Joanne Snead, 304-298-3039
Throughout the summer months, youth entering 3rd grade in the fall up through this year’s high school graduates will have the opportunity to attend workshops taught by distinguished artists in various media. Most of these will be offered on Thursdays and Fridays from June 7 through Aug. 10 in the classroom of the Hampshire County Co-op and Heritage Marketplace, 56 S. Marsham St., Romney. Below you will find a list of the workshops scheduled so far. More are expected to be added soon.
One continuing workshop that grew out of last summer’s arts camp will be a Ukulele Club that will meet every Friday, beginning June 8 at 11 am for 1 hour with lessons and practice under the leadership of Jim Morris. Unlike the other workshops, the club will be open to youth and adults of all ages and of all levels of experience. There will be ukuleles available for use; those who have their own instruments are asked to bring them. Those who are just learning to play will soon find that they are becoming proficient enough to play along with more experienced musicians. Before the end of the summer, we look forward to having a ukulele club that will be willing to perform for local events!
Each workshop will be limited to 12 participants to allow instructors to give their best attention to each student and will require advance registration. The exception will be the Ukulele Club which will be unlimited in size. A special saving offer of $35 is available for the 9 Ukulele Club classes scheduled for the summer. For all other classes there will be a nominal fee of $5 per student per class or 6 classes for $25.
- Friday, June 8, 11 am-12 noon: Ukulele Club with lessons and practice under the leadership of Jim Morris
- Friday, June 8, 1-2 pm: Exploring Composition taught by Sibyl MacKenzie. Students will learn how to make dynamic compositions that draw the eye around the surface, provide balance and elegance, and interest in line and shape can be an intriguing and educational effort.
- Thursday, June 14 & Friday, June 15, 9:30-10:30 am: Cartooning taught by Robin Pancake. At the completion of this 2-session class, students will have completed their own comic strip. There will be only a single charge of $5 for this 2-session class.
- Friday, June 15, 11 am-12 noon: Ukulele Club with lessons and practice under the leadership of Jim Morris
- Friday, June 22, 11 am-12 noon: Ukulele Club with lessons and practice under the leadership of Jim Morris
- Friday, June 22, 1-2:30 pm: Acrylic Painting, Beach Theme, taught by Missy Shockey. In this class students will learn how to blend and dry brush colors on canvas to create their own masterpiece to take home.
- Friday, June 22, 3-4:30 pm: Acrylic Painting, Dream Catcher, taught by Missy Shockey. In this class students will learn how to blend and dry brush colors on canvas to create their own masterpiece to take home.
- Friday, June 29, 11 am-12 noon: Ukulele Club with lessons and practice under the leadership of Jim Morris
- Friday, June 29, 1-2 pm: “Easy-gami!” paper folding for beginning Origami taught by Nancy Judd. Class size limited to 8.
- Friday, July 6, 11 am-12 noon: Ukulele Club with lessons and practice under the leadership of Jim Morris
- Thursday, July 12, 1-3 pm: Watercolor, 101: Learn the basics of watercolor painting with instructor Barbie Hillenbrand. Get past the fear of painting with watercolor and learn the magic ways behind creating great paintings.
- Friday, July 13, 11 am-12 noon: Ukulele Club with lessons and practice under the leadership of Jim Morris
- Friday, July 13, 1-3 pm: Watercolor – Paint What You See: Learn the basics of watercolor painting with instructor Barbie Hillenbrand. Students will learn to take a deeper look at what they see. Is black really black? Is white really white?
- Friday, July 20, 11 am-12 noon: Ukulele Club with lessons and practice under the leadership of Jim Morris
- Friday, July 27, 11 am-12 noon: Ukulele Club with lessons and practice under the leadership of Jim Morris
- No classes scheduled for Aug. 7-8 : PEACH FESTIVAL WEEKEND
- Friday, August 10, 9:15 am-10:30 am: Draw What You Hear – CANCELLED
- Friday, August 10, 11 am-12 noon: Ukulele Club with lessons and practice under the leadership of Jim Morris
- Friday, August 10, 1:30-2:30 pm, Glass art, class 1: CANCELLED
- Friday, August 10, 3:00-4:30 pm, Glass art, class 2: CANCELLED
- Saturday, August 11, 9 am-11 am: Romney’s Unique Architecture – CANCELLED
To register, please fill in form Registration Arts Adventures Workshops and return with check made payable to HCAC Arts Adventure Workshops and mail to Joanne Snead, PO Box 305, Springfield WV 26763. For additional information, call Joanne at 304-298-3039 or email Joanne_Snead@yahoo.com.
Enrollment is limited to 12 students per class, except for Ukulele Club and will be “first come/first serve.” Register early to insure your space!